AN ELMIRA SLIP AND FALL ATTORNEY HELPING YOU GET BACK ON YOUR FEET
A slip and fall is an injury that occurs when someone slips, trips, or falls as a result of a dangerous or hazardous condition through the negligence of a property owner.
When an individual slips and falls on someone else’s property and is injured as a result of a dangerous condition on the property, the landowner or business proprietor may find himself legally responsible and may be liable for the injuries.
Property owners are responsible for injuries that occur as a result of dangerous or hazardous conditions on their property, which the owner knew about, or should have known about. You have the option to work with an Elmira slip and fall attorney after a slip, trip or fall to fight for compensation to cover your injuries.
DANGEROUS & HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS DEFINED
Dangerous and hazardous conditions may cause slips and falls due to the accumulation of water, ice, snow, or other liquids, abrupt changes in flooring, raised or cracked sidewalks, poor lighting, or a hidden hazard such as a hidden ground hole.
- A dangerous or hazardous condition may be apparent such as a broken step or railing in a staircase, or it may be hidden such as a ground hole that is overgrown with grass.
- A dangerous or hazardous condition may be permanent such as a two-inch raised area of a sidewalk creating a change in elevation, or it may be a temporary condition such as a spill of liquid in the aisle of a grocery store.
- A dangerous and hazardous condition may even appear to be something normal but be in reality a slippery situation.
DAMAGES AVAILABLE FOR SLIP, TRIP, OR FALLS IN ELMIRA
- Medical bills and expenses incurred as a result of the incident
- Lost income for time away from work
- Recovery of the fair value of any clothing damaged in the incident
- Compensation for pain and suffering as a result of the incident
- General damages
EXAMPLES OF COMMON SLIP AND FALL SCENARIOS
In order to pursue a claim for your injuries arising from a slip and fall accident, you need to prove that the property owner breached their legal duty to ensure that their property was safe for guests and visitors. Typically, this means that you need to demonstrate that they failed to address known hazards or hazards that they should have been aware of. To better understand what this means for slip and fall accident victims, here are some common scenarios our Elmira slip and fall attorney team sees on that regular that give rise to a claim:
- On a rainy day, a grocery store manager neglects to put out “wet floor” signs in the tile-floored near the entrance where the floor is wet and slippery. A visitor to the store subsequently slips and falls on the floor, resulting in serious injuries.
- The owner and property manager for an apartment complex rarely conduct inspections of the property. A resident trips and falls on some torn carpeting in a common hallway. Other residents report that the carpeting had been torn for months and had been getting progressively worse. Had the owner and property manager routinely inspected the property for such hazards, they would have been aware of the hazard and could have taken steps to address it.
- The property manager for an office building has received several complaints about broken steps in front of the building but refuses to make repairs. A visitor to the building subsequently falls on the stairs due to the broken steps and is seriously injured.
These are just examples – if you have been injured in a fall on someone else’s property, an Elmira slip and fall attorney can determine whether you have a claim.
COMMON INJURIES RESULTING FROM A SLIP AND FALL
Depending on the circumstances, slip and fall injuries can result in serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment. Some of the more common injuries that can result are as follows:
- Hand and wrist injuries including broken bones and torn tendons and ligaments
- Facial injuries including fractured facial bones
- Dental injuries such as broken teeth
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Skull fractures
- Spinal injuries
- Back and neck injuries
No matter what injuries you have suffered, an Elmira slip and fall attorney can help you get the compensation you need.
WHY YOU SHOULD REPORT YOUR SLIP AND FALL ACCIDENT IMMEDIATELY
If you fall on someone else’s property, it is vital that you report your accident to the property owner or manager before you leave the scene, even if you are not sure you were injured.
This prevents them from later claiming that you were injured somewhere else or otherwise denying responsibility for the accident.
The property owner will hopefully prepare an accident report and notify their insurance, but this doesn’t always happen. As a result, you should be sure to take down the name and contact information of the person you reported your accident to. You should also take photographs of the scene where you were injured and jot down some notes concerning the property conditions that caused your accident. If there were witnesses, get their names and contact information as well.
If you are injured, an Elmira slip and fall attorney can help you navigate the claim process so that you can get fair compensation for your injuries.
ELMIRA SLIP AND FALL ATTORNEY STEVE PROUDFOOT VIGOROUSLY PROSECUTES CASES
- Our office will advance all costs and has the capital to fully fund all necessary expenses of your case.
- Our office will make extensive efforts to pursue insurance coverage that will provide just compensation for your injuries and damages.
- We don’t get paid until you get paid.
- You don’t have to come to us, we’ll come to you.
- Millions of dollars in trial verdicts and settlements have been recovered for our clients for personal injury cases.
If you have been injured as a result of a slip and fall, call us for a FREE consultation.